Monday, June 11, 2012

The Parents Visit Palestine!

My darling parents came to visit me a few weeks ago, and we were able to travel around Israel, Palestine, and Jordan! Here are some of the highlights of our travels. Warning: photo overload!

My parents' first day in Palestine, walking around the Suuq in Bethlehem with Emily and me. 

The Shepherds' Fields

Hebron
The barrier behind us marks the divide in the road. Arabs are only allowed to walk on the side that we are on. The other side of the barrier is for Jews only (or Internationals - I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten in trouble if we'd tried to walk there). Also, you can't see them in this photo, but there were Israeli soldiers stationed at either end of this walk-way.

East Jerusalem

Herodion!

View from the top of Herodion.

Emily & I being statues at Herodion.

Going down into the deep dark bowels of Herodion. I don't look thrilled.

Ancient Water Cistern at Herodion.

Beautiful stone formations in Jordan.

Sunset from our hotel room outside Petra.

Ancient homes in Petra.
Beautiful buildings at Petra.

Climbing into the crevices in the wall at Petra on our way to the treasury.

Coming out of the tunnel after walking for an hour and a half, our first view of the treasury...

There it is!!!

The fam.

Emily and I are so excited!
Climbing onto boulders.

The amphitheater.

Stairway to heaven.

Tombs.

Climbing up into the tombs.
We met a beautiful Bedouin woman who showed us some incredible patterns in the rock.

And of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't get sunburn which later turned into sun poisoning.

Emily falling off the cliff.

Looking down on the dead sea from Masada.

View of the side of Masada.

SO WINDY! And sooooo beautiful!

Such a beautiful view of the ancient city behind me, and the dead sea behind that.

Saying goodbye to the parents!


And that was the end of their visit! Well, they were here for almost two weeks, so obviously there was a little more going on than what these pictures capture, but these were some of the highlights. It was so wonderful to be able to share my city with my parents. They now understand my time and experiences here so much better than when they only were able to connect with me over Skype, and I am so grateful that they were able to make it out for a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment