Thursday, August 18, 2011

Off to Jordan!

As I prepare to begin my journey from Pennsylvania to Jordan, where I'll have language training for four weeks, so many things are running through my mind. I'm nervous to begin studying Arabic; I'm sad to leave Orientation and this group that has become like a mini family; but mostly, I'm excited to begin this new adventure.

The second half of orientation was simply wonderful. There was singing, dancing, and lots of laughing. With so much in common, striking up conversations with people we hadn't met before was really easy. And between all of the shared meals and the break time, we had plenty of time to get to know each other. 

My favorite part of the week was the "talent show" on our final evening together. So many people got up and gave us a peak into their culture through songs, poems, ethnic dances, and so many other things. One of the highlights of the night was an NSYNC dance done by four SALTers and an IVEPer. Albert, the dancer on the far left is from Kosovo, and part of my Middle East/Europe core group. I've included the video for your viewing pleasure! (OH, and the woman they're singing to is Eva, the director of the entire program).


Fantastic, right?! Don't deny it. 

Anyways, I just finished up my packing (and hopefully got both my bags under 50lbs). We leave Akron today and fly from Harrisburg to London to Amman, Jordan. We leave here at 5:30pm, and hopefully arrive in Amman by 9pm tomorrow, local time. Definitely a looooooong trip, and because of the 7 hour time difference, I know that I'll be completely thrown off. Please be praying for safe and smooth travels!

Next stop: JORDAN!

1 comment:

  1. Great video, great dance, great fellowship!!

    Have a smooth trip to Jordan,

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete